Start your Mardi-party in the true fashion of eating, drinking, and merrymaking with the tantalizing Big Easy Bites and Booze Tour on Saturday, March 2nd, from 1pm-5pm. Treat your taste buds to a delectable day of dining with 20 of the Gaslamp Quarter’s most notable bars and restaurants who will be serving up delicious New Orleans inspired bites and Carnival inspired cocktail sips. Take the NOLA vibes straight to your home with a Suckerfree Southern Plate and Bar inspired recipe for their Chicken and Andouille Sausage Jambalaya and Tropical Savor’s Bar and Grill alluring sip, the Mardi Tropical. Get in the Mardi-mood and let the good times roll, or as the Cajun expression goes, “laissez les bons temps rouler!”
Making guests happy with a taste of the South is Suckerfree Southern Plate and Bar, a new Louisiana style restaurant located in the Gaslamp Quarter and perfect for anyone looking for an authentic Southern-style home cooked meal. At this year’s Big Easy Bites and Booze Tour, the Southern culinary geniuses of Suckerfree will showcase one of their most popular dishes, the Chicken Andouille Sausage Jambalaya! Try this mouthwatering dish at home with the Food Network’s recipe for Chicken and Andouille Sausage Jambalaya. Here is how to prepare this delectable Southern Style entrée!
Directions: (Recipe Courtesy of the Food Network)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot. Add in 3 oz of fully cooked sliced andouille sausage and cook for about 3 minutes cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add the 2 chopped stalks of celery, 1 chopped onion, and 1 chopped bell pepper, season with salt and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables soften. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and stir occasionally until the vegetables are coated. Add ¾ cup of white rice and stir occasionally until coated.
- Add 2 diced tomatoes and 5 cups of water to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the sauce thickens for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir 15 oz. can of no-salt added kidney beans and ½ cup of shredded rotisserie chicken into the pot and cook until warmed through for about 1 minute. Top each leaves and drizzle with olive oil and voila you have this Louisiana-origin dish right in your home to satisfy your Jambalaya craving!
One of the amazing things about the Big Easy Bites and Booze Tour is that it welcomes all restaurants, no matter what style of food they serve, to partake in this edible Mardi party. The Bites and Booze Tour encourages restaurants to take a unique twist on a New Orleans inspired bite or sip! Family owned and operated, Tropical Savor Bar and Grill pulls inspiration from Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Cuba to serve up delectable Caribbean Cuisine to leave you dreaming of a tropical vacation! As their Big Easy Bites and Booze sip, they will be showcasing their Mardi Tropical. The Mardi Tropical consists of Vodka, passion fruit juice, and Midori lime juice. This quench thirsting cocktail was created in-house and is highly fitting for this New Orleans inspire jubilee!
Grab your Mardi-krew and indulge in this holiday-inspired tasting tour filled with 20 delicious bites and 20 Mardi Gras-inspired sips throughout the historic Gaslamp Quarter. Remember to collect 10 beads at 10 hotspots for exclusive VIP access to the after party at a secret location! Tickets for the Mardi Gras Beads, Bites and Booze Tour start at just $25 and $30 on the day of the event!
20 Participating Restaurants Offering Bites and Sips:
- American Junkie
- Brian’s 24 Bar and Grill
- Casablanca Lounge
- The Dive Steam Kettle Cooking
- Dog Haus Biergarten San Diego
- The Dubliner
- The Field Irish Pub
- Gaslamp Fish House
- Henry’s Pub
- Machu Picchu Bar & Restaurant
- Mad House Comedy Club
- McFadden’s San Diego
- Rockin’ Baja Lobster
- Royal India
- Smoking Gun San Diego
- Theatre Box
- Tin Roof
- Tropical Savor Bar and Grill
- Suckerfree Southern Plate and Bar
Attendees must be 21 years or older and have a valid ID. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit sdmardigras.com. USE CODE GQA for $5 off!