Deck those paws with bells so jolly and jingle all the way through the Gaslamp Quarter for the Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade presented by Downtown Ace Hardware and VCA Market Street. Pet owners and their furry, feathered, and scaled companions are invited to don their favorite costumes for this jolly promenade and pet expo on Sunday, December 11, 2016, at MLK Promenade Park, adjacent to the Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter (401 K Street, San Diego, CA 92101).
Entry to participate in the Pet Parade is just $15 in advance per pet, $20 on the day of the event. But our friends at Downtown Ace Hardware, VCA Market Street, Doozydog! Club, and San Diego Humane Society are giving you a chance to save $5 on your parade entry while supporting a great cause. Here are two options on how you can save $5 on your parade entry:
- Sign up or show your Ace Rewards card at Downtown Ace Hardware (675 6th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101) to receive a special promo code for online parade registration, OR
- Drop off crucial pet supplies for San Diego Humane Society’s PAWS San Diego at our official donation locations at VCA Market Street (633 7th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101) or Doozydog! Club (634 14th St, #104, San Diego, CA 92101) to receive a special promo code for online parade registration. Pet supplies that will be accepted for donation include new, unopened bags of dry dog/cat food, dog/cat treats, new or gently used dog/cat toys, cat litter, and flea medication. For more information on San Diego Humane Society’s PAWS Program, visit PawsSanDiego.org.
Day-of registration and check-in will begin at 12:30pm. Guests are encouraged to register in advance as space in the Parade is limited and will fill up fast. CLICK HERE to register today!
The Pet Parade steps off promptly at 3:00PM from MLK Promenade Park, proudly led by the official Grand Marshals, 2014 Best of Show winners, Canine Candyland‘s Muttley Cyrus and Rambo with owners Heather and Lori Signs. The parade route continues under the iconic Gaslamp Quarter Archway and through the historic streets of the district, as festively-attired critters compete for bragging rights and prizes in various contest categories. The tinseled procession then returns to MLK Promenade Park, where participants may explore the Pet Expo – free and open to the public from 1:00PM to 5:00PM – and pick up their complimentary goodie bag, filled with unique keepsakes, samples, toys and special discounts to some of the Gaslamp Quarter’s pet-friendly restaurants and shops.
The best vantage points for the Pet Parade are along 4th & 5th Avenues between E and K Street from 3-3:45PM (arrive early to peruse the Pet Expo and guarantee a great spot to watch the parade).
Pet Parade Costume Categories
Contest Rules: Each entry is automatically eligible for a chance to win one of our Contest Categories. Winners will be selected and announced at the Pet Parade Awards Ceremony presented by Doozydog! Club & San Diego Humane Society immediately following the Pet Parade at MLK Promenade Park. Judges’ decision is final. Must visit the judging panel between 1:00 – 2:30PM to be considered.
- Best Pet Costume – Awarded to the most all-around creative and elaborate pet costume. This award is for costumes of all types, whether it be festive, sports-themed, kooky or scary.
- Best Pet Costume (non-canine) – Awarded to the best all-around creative and elaborate non-canine pet costume. All well-behaved, friendly pets are welcome to take part in the Pet Parade, be they furry, feathered or scaled. The majority of the pets entered in the Parade are dogs, but this Award gives cats, birds, bunnies, what-have-you the chance to shine.
- Best Costume – Duo – Awarded to the best costumed duo, whether pet-and-pet or pet-and-pet-owner, in the Pet Parade.
- Best Costume – Group (3 or more) – Awarded to the best costumed group of three or more in the Pet Parade. Get the whole family involved.
- Best Pet Holiday Costume – Awarded to the pet donning the most festive costume at the Pet Parade. All costumes are welcome at the Parade, but only those specifically celebrating the holidays are eligible to win this award. Think your pet has the best Rudolph, Prancer, Blitzen or even Santa impression? Then he/she could take home this award.
- Cutest Critter – Self-explanatory – This award is given to the pet deemed most aww-inspiring at the Pet Parade.
- Best Ugly Holiday Sweater presented by Doozydog! Club – Everyone has one. Let your pet or YOU wear theirs with pride. This category is open to pets and humans alike.
- Best Pet Float – Our most creative award category to date. As the Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade has grown, so has the creativity and innovation of our dedicated Pet Paraders. So much so, that floats for pets decorated with crafts and other materials have become quite the crowd-pleaser. Might we suggest picking up your decorating materials at Downtown Ace Hardware at 675 6th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101 and create a unique and quirky float for a chance to win this award. Please make an effort to use environmentally-friendly materials when constructing your float. Non-motorized wagons are preferred.
- Best of Show (opportunity to be Grand Marshal at next year’s event) – Awarded to the absolute show-stopping, best costume of the Pet Parade. This award is given to the best of the best, and the winner is invited to join us and lead at next year’s 9th Annual Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade on Sunday, December 11, 2016.
Highlights from the 2014 Event
Congratulations to Our 2014 Winners
- Best Costume Made Out of Duct Tape: Jackie Silva and Sammie the Maltipoo
- Best Ugly Holiday Sweater: Scott Bowen and Luca the Cocker Spaniel
- Cutest Critter: Ronit Kugelmass and Pia the Yorkie as “Popcorn”
- Best Pet Costume: Tiffany Thater and Zoila as “Friends Not Food”
- Best Pet Costume (non-canine): Peter Miller-Keys and Kendra II the Pedigreed Somali
- Best Pet Holiday Costume: Jennifer & Corey Dobbs and Ferra and Ozzie as “The Grinch That Stole Christmas”
- Best Costumed Duo: Elle North Thoyer and Kindle as “The Kissing Booth”
- Best Costumed Group: Jan Savage and Sir Ruffles von Vicious
- Best in Show (leading the 2015 Pet Parade): Heather & Lori Signs with Muttley Cyrus and Rambo as “Canine Candyland”
For more information on the Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade, contact the Gaslamp Quarter Association at 619-233-5227 or email@example.com.
*Jolly pets welcome. No livestock allowed in parade.